Saturday, August 17, 2019

Character Issues

Still find myself going through Chapters 7 and 8 and doing a bit of fiddling with them here and there. I keep having to go back and revise little bits of them because while I'm doing other things, little thoughts and ideas appear in my head and I have to go back and see if they're going to fit in , or actually work with what I have so far, and with what I have planned in the future.

What it's doing is making it very slow going in progressing any farther into the story than I'm already at. And it's becoming a little bit of a problem. I'm going to have to force myself to stop, and move on with the story. If I have to go back later during the editing/revision phase, then I'll do that. But i can't be letting all this impede and progress on the story itself.

So Chapters 1-8 are being put aside for the time being, and I am going to focus on Chapter 9 and past that. Which may prove to be its own problem. What I initially intended to be a simple conversation between Flavius and Kore about Heaven, is apparently going to end up being a little bit more involved and heated than I foresaw. I'm not sure if I want to go that route or not. The incident that spawned it is part of the main plot, but the fallout so to speak is more of a continuing the overall storyline of what I have in mind for the series, rather than a specific plot point. So I'm not sure about keeping it, or saving it for later.

Problem I have, is that Event A, has to effect Event B, and so on and so forth. If I want everything to logically fit together, the character reactions have to be taken into account. And yeah, I could alter the characters to fit the story, but that never works out for me. I much prefer the characters, and how they see things, what they do, changing the story and the world around them. It seems more natural and realistic that way. At least to me.

The characters have evolved and grown from what I first envisioned them, and I know them all, even ones not even mentioned yet, enough to know how they are going to react to certain situations. This causes issues when I want something for the story, that the characters themselves aren't going to cooperate with. So I have to make adjustments here and there to get around that.

I could for example, have Kore instantly trust Flavius and everything he does. It would just mean completely changing her character into something recognizable. Her mistrust of vampires, and Flavius specifically, is a part of who she is. And something hopefully I can get her to grow out of organically. Otherwise, it just feels forced to me.

Characters have to do what is in character for them. Even if it means more work for me trying to figure out how to make it all work. Flipping a switch on a character and making them suddenly ok with something they shouldn't logically be ok with, is just lazy.

Always gotta do things the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment