Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Dream Sequence

I decided to go ahead and try out the dream sequence that I've been mulling over for a few chapters now. And I've gotta say, so far it turned out pretty good. I think I captured just the right amount of creepy mixed in with a bit of illusion and mind control. Plus, when added on to the other two chapters I managed to get through in the last 24 hours, I think it adds a nice little bit of character development for two of the three antagonists in the story.

And I think I'm slowly but surely getting into the endgame now. At least for the first run through draft in any case. As I'm writing, I'm still making notations about what has to be revised earlier in the story, and what changes the plans I have for later chapters. The first part is going to have to wait until everything is all said and done. The second part, well that's a work in progress.

Poor little Heaven though, is still going through a lot. Reminds me of something I read a long time ago about writing good characters and good stories. Pick a character, then beat them up, put them through hell, and beat them up some more.

A good story is about how the characters deal with the situations that are thrown at them. Reminds me of one of Mercedes Lackey's characters from her Last Herald Mage series. Boy did she beat the living hell out of Vanyel over and over again. Now I'm not doing that much to Heaven, but she's still being put through a lot of psychological torment. As I write, she seems to be dealing with it well enough, don't want to leave any lasting damage that I can't eventually repair after all. The finale is going to cause her enough pain emotionally as it is. May have to dial that back some, or give a particular burden to someone else instead. Haven't quite decided yet. Will have to see how it all feels when I get to that part.

If I do put Heaven through that last little bit of torment, I may have to give her a little break next time through. Don't want to break the little kitty. I'm not that mean.

Still working on the other side of this whole writing thing. Working on everything behind the curtains waiting for a few reviews of NIGHTWALKER I put in for to come through, and hopefully all the work I've been doing will pay off. It's slow going, but that's kinda how it goes with this sorta thing. Got to just keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment